The OpenJS Foundation is looking for an Executive Director! The Board of Directors is actively interviewing candidates to fill the role created by the recent merger of the JS Foundation and the Node.js Foundation. This is an important leadership role in a growing ecosystem.
The application period is now closed. We look forward to introducing the Executive Director of the OpenJS Foundation in the coming weeks.
The OpenJS Foundation encourages participation through contribution in our hosted projects, building a framework for long-term stewardship by an ecosystem directly invested in its own success
As the Executive Director, you will work closely with both the Linux Foundation team supporting the OpenJS Foundation and the project’s Board of Directors. You will also work closely with an energetic community of open source developers and technology leaders involved in our hosted projects. Their interests and expectations of an Executive Director have been published here.
The Executive Director has overall strategic and operational responsibility for managing staff, developing programs, and overseeing the prudent execution of the OpenJS Foundation’s mission. You will be responsible for recruiting and supporting corporate OpenJS Foundation members, who provide the essential backbone of financial support for all Foundation activities. Working with the Board, you will be responsible for ensuring that budgeted programs are executed faithfully and transparently. Finally, and most importantly, you will be responsible for ensuring the Foundation succeeds in its mission to be a neutral and supportive host for a wide variety of JS and web ecosystem projects.
As Executive Director, you will be a visible champion of the mission and vision of our hosted projects, advancing the OpenJS Foundation’s mission to drive adoption and ensure sustainability in the JS and web development ecosystem.
Grow the community around the OpenJS Foundation and its hosted projects.
- Understand the ecosystem of hosted OpenJS Foundation projects, including Node.js, jQuery, Webpack, and many others, and identify opportunities to increase financial support for hosted projects through new OpenJS Foundation memberships.
- Work within the ecosystem of hosted projects to develop compelling membership benefits which drive more engaged corporate membership, and develop the individual membership program to mirror the growth of the communities.
- Involve the Board, project leadership, Cross Project Council (CPC), Foundation staff, and end-user communities in developing long-term programs that support the continued increase of all manner of code and community contributions to hosted projects.
- Cooperate with other institutions and organizations that have shared goals and purposes, creating affiliations and maintaining good working relationships with organizations such as ECMA International, for the benefit of hosted project communities.
- Evangelize and encourage potential projects to join the OpenJS community and guide them through the proposal process. Partner with the Foundation members, CPC, and community to identify desired projects to approach.
Effectively evangelize OpenJS Foundation Impact projects
- Represent the OpenJS Foundation and hosted projects in external relations with the technology community, governmental entities, the media, and the general public.
- Conduct public relations campaigns, maintain contact with the media, supervise and approve staff contacts with the media.
- Assist project communities in building strong brands that engage end users and demonstrate the benefits of adopting JS technologies.
- Position Impact-level OpenJS Foundation projects as leading technologies for building web applications.
Grow and sustain the OpenJS Foundation membership base
- Develop new sponsor/member relationships with a focus on growing the hosted project user community and, by extension, the OpenJS funding base.
- Oversee efforts of staff or members involved in actively seeking sponsorship funding from other foundations, corporations, and other sources.
- Take an active role in ensuring that renewing members understand the value of continued membership, communicating achievements and progress on a regular basis.
- Work with the Board and staff to effectively plan fundraising strategies.
- Carry ultimate responsibility for all communication with funding members of OpenJS Foundation
Run the business
- Involve the Board, CPC, staff and end user communities in developing organizational goals, a strategic plan, and projections for supporting the OpenJS Foundation’s mission.
- Ensure that programs have clear objectives and are within the scope of the resources and mission of the Foundation.
- Oversee the gathering, analysis, and reporting of data that demonstrates the accomplishments of the Foundation, including search, surveys, code contributions, meetups, blogs, etc.
- Oversee all financial management of the Foundation including all grant and funding administration required by either the Linux Foundation or other supporters. Possess thorough knowledge of all funding sources and required records.
- Prepare the budget for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Report to Board of Directors in a timely manner on all matters of importance, including financial status, funding projections, policy setting, planning, project operations, employee matters, and the long-term health of the OpenJS Foundation.
- Provide adequate materials and analysis to assist the Board of Directors in making decisions on all matters of importance to policy setting.
- Maintain and adapt the organizational structure and systems capable of meeting the needs of the Foundation in carrying out its mission.
- Review program evaluation results; develop and execute strategies for continual improvement.
- Encourage staff and volunteers throughout the foundation to develop creative solutions and innovative approaches to achieve their objectives.
- Oversee all staff hiring and termination, as well as all other personnel-related matters of the program.
- Create an environment that encourages cooperation between the staff to meet common goals.
- Strong technical understanding of JS and related technologies, and experience building open source communities.
- Prior leadership experience (at least five years) in a management or executive role.
- Experience and passion for working in both the technology and nonprofit sector.
- Successful track record of fiscal oversight of a program/division of comparable size and complexity.
- Experience reporting to a Board of Directors, guiding Board leadership, and developing Board members.
- Commitment to run high-quality programs, with data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach, supervise, and motivate staff.
- Proven track record setting and achieving strategic objectives while successfully managing organizational finances.
- Strong technical marketing, public relations and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Persuasive and passionate communicator, both written and oral.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
Location is virtual but will require being available during US timezone working hours to coordinate with other staff working on the project.
Education and Other Training:
- Recommended: B.A. or B.S degree or comparable industry experience.