As we all are entering unprecedented and uncertain times, we wanted to provide as much information and guidance pertaining to OpenJS World and the OpenJS Collaborator Summit scheduled for June 23-26 in Austin, TX.
As of this posting, the events are moving forward as planned, however, we are continuously monitoring the situation as we see new measures unfold across the world and will make the “go/ no-go” decision the first week of May. If the physical event is canceled, we plan on replacing it with a virtual event. We have posted a Novel Coronavirus update to the official event website. For all details, please visit this page as it will be updated regularly, as new information is available.
Below, we have addressed a few questions that have come up.
Is registration refundable?
Yes. If it is decided it is in everyone’s best interest to cancel OpenJS World, you will be fully refunded. In addition, if the event is not canceled, but you are still uncomfortable with attending the event, the Linux Foundation and OpenJS Foundation provide attendees an opportunity to have their registration fees (minus a 3.5% processing fee) refunded through June 8. No refunds; only substitutions will be allowed starting June 9.
Are sponsorships refundable?
Yes. We will refund sponsorships should the event be canceled. Please email email@example.com with questions.
Should I register and make travel plans now?
While the Foundation can refund registration costs, we can not refund travel costs associated with flights or hotels. We recommend holding on purchasing flights at this time. If you’ve made a reservation at the conference hotel, cancellations can be made without penalty up to 72 hours prior to arrival. Additional information about the conference hotel can be found here. We will have more information on the event status in early May but will share more updates as they become available.
Will the diversity scholarship application deadline change?
Yes, since we are still monitoring the situation carefully, and will be making event decisions closer to the event days, we will be extending the application deadline to Friday, May 8. Please apply for diversity funding here.
Will OpenJS World or the OpenJS Collab Summit be replaced with a virtual event, if the physical events are canceled?
If a cancellation does take place, we may replace the physical event with a virtual one. We are still investigating these options. We are also still very much moving forward with filling the programming for both sessions and keynotes and hope to provide this content to the community in some way or another.
I have additional questions. Who can I contact?
From our OpenJS families to yours, please take care.