The creators of Node-RED recently gave an informative Ask Me Anything (AMA) which you can watch below. Node-RED is a Growth Project at the OpenJS Foundation. Speakers include Nick O’Leary (@knolleary), Dave Conway-Jones (@ceejay), and John Walicki (@johnwalicki).
This AMA can help individuals interested in Node-RED get a better understanding of the frameworking tool. Using a combination of user generated and preexisting questions, the discussion focuses heavily on the processes employed by the creators of Node-RED to optimize the tool.
The creators of Node-RED answered questions from the live chat, giving insight into how Node-RED is iterated and improved. Questions ranged from where Node-RED has gone in the last 7 years to whether or not Node-RED is a prototyping tool.
Full Video Here
Video by Section
- Introductions (0:00)
- What’s been going on last 7 years (2:21)
- Did you have use cases in mind? (4:46)
- What’s it been like to work with open source? (7:10)
- Why is Node red so popular in iOT space? (9:30)
- Where else is node red popular? (12:25)
- How do you answer the question “is it a prototyping tool?” (15:00)
- Where does Node-RED fit in the low programming world? (17:20)
- 2020 Recap, what’s next? (20:00)
- New features in 1.1? (23:10)
- Flow change for nodes? (26:00)
- Thoughts about encryption? (28:40)
- Do you see Node-RED scaling? (31:50)
- Best practices for sharing readable flows (34:15)
- Do you have large applications and flows being created now? (37:15)
- What would you say to a developer who should use Node-RED? (40:00)
- What can developers help? (41:25)
- Open is a mindset, how do you wade through forums and open source? (43:30)
- YouTube Q, on the edge constrained environment modeling? (45:40)
- Node Red + AI? (48:50)
- POV on containerization (50:30)
- Refreshing node red dashboard, thoughts on replacing framework? (53:40)
- Node Red conference? (57:45)
- Last thoughts? (59:25)
Our next AMA is with the Node.js Security Working Group on June 3 at 9 am PT. Submit your questions here.