Success with WordPress,
powered by AMP
The missions of the WordPress and AMP open source projects are very well aligned. AMP, a growth project at the OpenJS Foundation, seeks to democratize performance and the building of great page experiences, which is at the core of WordPress’ goal of democratizing web publishing.
Today the AMP team is very excited to release v2.0 of the Official AMP Plugin for WordPress! Lots of work went into this release, and it is loaded with many improvements and new capabilities in the areas of usability, performance, and flexibility. Read on to learn more, or check out the official AMP Blog for the full release notes.
AMP brings “performance-as-a-service” to WordPress, providing out-of-the-box solutions, a wide range of coding and performance best practices, always up-to-date access to the latest web platform capabilities, and effective control mechanisms (e.g. guard rails) to enable consistently good performance. AMP’s capabilities, and the guard rails it provides allow WordPress creators to take advantage of the openness and flexibility of WordPress while minimizing the amount of resources needed to be invested in developing and maintaining sites that perform consistently well.
The Official AMP Plugin for WordPress is developed and maintained by AMP project contributors to bring the pillars of AMP content publishing at the fingertips of WordPress users, by:
- Automating as much as possible the process of generating AMP-valid markup, letting users follow workflows that are as close as possible to the standard workflows on WordPress they are used to.
- Providing effective validation tools to help dealing with AMP incompatibilities when they happen, including aspects of identifying errors, contextualizing them, and reporting them accurately.
- Providing support for AMP development to make it easier for WordPress developers to build AMP compatible ecosystem components, and build websites and solutions with AMP-compatibility built in.
- Supporting the serving of AMP pages on Origin, making it easier for site owners to take advantage of mobile redirection, AMP-to-AMP linking, minimization of AMP validation issues to surfaced in Search Console, and generation of optimized AMP pages by default.
- Providing turnkey solutions for segments of WordPress creators and publishers to be able to go from zero to AMP content generation in no time, regardless of technical expertise or availability of resources.
To learn more about the AMP in WordPress, please check the release post on the official AMP Project Blog. If you haven’t tried it already, download the plugin today and get started on the path of consistently great performance for your WordPress site! And, if you are interested in becoming a contributor to the AMP Plugin for WordPress, you can engage with us in the AMP plugin github repository.