We strongly believe in sharing best practices and reducing redundant administrative work across projects, particularly when it comes to non-technical governance. To that end we have established a Cross Project Council, or CPC, to centralize coordination among projects as well as certain technical governance and moderation processes. One of the CPC’s primary functions will be to oversee the progression of projects between stages of their lifecycles.
Projects hosted by the OpenJS Foundation fall into one of four categories:
- Impact stage is generally for large, mature projects.
- Growth stage is for projects which are actively mentored, and which intend to graduate to Impact stage.
- At-Large stage is for new projects, stable projects with minimal needs, and everything in between.
- Incubation stage is for projects which are in the process of joining the OpenJS Foundation.
- Emeritus stage is for projects which have completed their lifecycle and are retired.
In addition, the CPC oversees an Incubation process for projects which seek to be hosted by the OpenJS Foundation.
The project lifecycle is documented in the Project Progression proposal.